Sony updated its support page with various information regarding the PS4’s backward compatibility on the PS5.
There are numerous details of what works and what will not be supported (including games). We also have information that Share does not work through a backward-compatible menu (you need to press the Create button on DualSense and use shortcuts).
See all the details below.
The PS5 console is backward compatible with the vast majority of PS4 games. That is, it is possible to play an incredible collection, with thousands of games for PS4, on your PS5 console.
PS4 games that can be played on PS5 consoles
The vast majority of the more than 4,000 PS4 games can be played on PS5 consoles.
- Some PS4 games will take advantage of the PS5 console game enhancement, making PS4 games run at a higher or more stable frame rate.
- Many PS4 games can be played on PS5 consoles, but some features available on the PS4 console may not be available on PS5 consoles. Also, some PS4 games may exhibit errors or unexpected behavior when played on PS5 consoles.
- Before purchasing expansions to play on your PS4 games on PS5 consoles, try starting and playing your PS4 games on your PS5 console to confirm that you are satisfied with the gaming experience.
- Please note that to play PS VR games on a PS5 console, you must have a PlayStation VR headset, a PS Camera (sold separately from the PS5 console), and a PS Camera adapter (provided free of charge).
- Always update your PS5 console to the latest version of the system software.
Most PS4 games can be played on PS5 consoles, but here’s a list of PS4 games that can only be played on PS4. On the PlayStation Store, PS4 games that cannot be played on the PS5 console will be indicated with “Game available only for: PS4”.
- Afro Samurai 2 Revenge of Kuma Volume One
- TT Isle of Man – Ride on the Edge 2
- Just Deal With It!
- Shadow Complex Remastered
- Robinson: The Journey
- We Sing
- Hitman Go: Definitive Edition
- Joe’s Diner
How to play PS4 game discs on a PS5 console with a disc drive
- Insert the PS4 game disc. You may need to download an update.
- Select the game hub at the beginning of the games.
- To play the game, you will need to keep the disc inserted at all times.
You cannot use PS4 game discs on PlayStation® Digital Edition. Transfer digital games from a PS4 console to a PS5 console.
- You can transfer digital games and saved data from a PS4 console to a PS5 console using Wi-Fi data transfer.
- You can access PS4 games on a PS5 console directly from a PS5 extended storage unit.
Install a PS4 digital game on a PS5 console
- Select the game library at the beginning of the games.
- Select the game you want to play.
- If you have not yet downloaded the game, select Download.
- The game will be installed automatically. Depending on the game, you may have the option to copy and play the part of the game immediately.
Upgrade eligible PS4 games to the PS5 version
You may have the option to upgrade your PS4 game to the digital version for PS5. Visit the following page for more information.
Compatible controls on PS5 consoles
- The DualSense wireless controller, DUALSHOCK 4 wireless controller, and third party controllers officially licensed by PlayStation will work on PS5 consoles with compatible PS4 games.
- More specific peripherals, such as racing wheels, arcade-style controls, and flight simulation controls, will work with PS5 games and compatible PS4 games.
- The PS Move motion control and PlayStation VR aiming control will work with compatible PS VR games on PS5 consoles.
- For the best experience, use a DUALSHOCK 4 wireless controller when playing PS4 and PS VR games on a PS5 console.
- PS5 games are not compatible with the DUALSHOCK 4 wireless controller.
- To adjust the intensity of vibration control in PS5 consoles, go to Settings > Accessories > Controls > intensity of vibration.
- The gold and platinum series wireless headsets, in addition to third-party headsets connected via the USB port or the audio connector, will work on PS5 consoles (the headset add-on application is not compatible with PS5 consoles).
Backward compatibility limitations on PS5
- It is not possible to display the SHARE menu when playing PS4 games on PS5 consoles. You can take screenshots and save images by pressing the Create button on your DualSense wireless controller to display the creation menu. Also, you can use the button shortcuts to start/stop video recording or to save screenshots as follows:
- Press the Create (DualSense) button or the SHARE (DUALSHOCK 4) button once to display the creation menu
- Hold down the Create button (DualSense) or the SHARE button (DUALSHOCK 4) to take a screenshot.
- Press the Create button (DualSense) or the SHARE button (DUALSHOCK 4) twice to start and stop video recording manually.
- The HD camera is not compatible with PS4 games. Connect a PlayStation Camera using a PlayStation®Camera adapter.
- HDR is automatically activated on PS5 consoles. To disable HDR, go to Settings > Display, and video > out of video > HDR and select RDS.
- The PS4 tournament feature is not compatible with PS5 consoles.
- The PlayStation Live feature is not compatible with PS5 consoles while playing.
- PS5 consoles are not compatible with the PS4 Second Screen application or with complementary game applications.